Sleep, wake, repeat. Read all about how our friends optimize their surroundings, unwind, and relax the mind for a good night—every night.
We sat down with Mosha & Sophie Lundström Halbert, the founders of Therma Kōta, a sustainable outerwear, rainwear, and home goods line, to talk about their nightly bedtime rituals.
1. Double, Queen, or King?
2. Why is a good night’s sleep important to you?
Mosha: Because rest and recovery is the key to mental and physical health. And needing less makeup!
Sophie: I feel so much healthier and have sustained energy when I get a good rest and eat nourishing food, as opposed to depending on caffeine to get me through the day.
3. How many hours of sleep do you get a night—or at least dream of getting?
Mosha: 7 works for me.
Sophie: I get a solid 8-9 hours of sleep a night.
4. Are you a dreamer?
Mosha: Big time. A lot of random celebrities make cameos in my dreams.
Sophie: Oh yes. I fly in almost all of my dreams, which is fun. I love when I wake up early, look at the clock and realize I have an extra couple of hours left to sleep. That’s when I have the most vivid dreams.
5. What’s currently on your bedside table?
Mosha: A Candlessentials candle, Simple Modern tumbler of alkaline water, a book on Dada and Surrealism
Sophie: Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream, Ello Glass Tumbler, Oracle Deck by The Darling Tree, a stack of novels (Currently reading Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)
6. Do you partake in any nightly routine before settling into bed?
Mosha: Amandine Sol Botaniclas face oil.
Sophie: Sleepytime tea.
7. Tell us about where the magic happens—and by magic, we mean sleep. How do you optimize your sleep environment?
Mosha: I open my door to let the ocean breeze lull me to sleep.
Sophie: Lighting is everything. No blue light from devices, and dim lighting to ease into lights out.
8. If you feel a restless night coming on, is there anything you do to help get you through the night without waking?
Mosha: snuggle my English bulldog.
Sophie: A brisk walk outside for fresh air and Valerian Root (as a tea, tincture, or capsule).
9. What kind of pillows do you use to keep your head in the clouds?
Mosha: bamboo firm pillows for support and Therma Kota pillows for coziness.
Sophie: I use a memory foam pillow that supports my neck. When I’m reading in bed, I love my Therma Kota lumbar pillow to prop up my head or at the small of my back.
10. Last but not least, what is your number one piece of can’t-sleep-without advice?
Mosha: remove all your makeup, moisturize, wear something silky.
Sophie: Make your bed! I’m not sure why, but it just feels so much better to get into bed when it’s made (doesn’t have to be perfect, but just the duvet pulled up and pillows arranged).